Founded in 2018 by Tatiana Stanovaya, R.Politik explains the inner workings of Russian politics. We focus on elite infighting, the mechanisms of decision-making at both a federal and regional level, and the logic behind key political firings and appointments.
The name ‘R.Politik’ was chosen to exemplify our engagement with political reality, rather than lazy speculation or polemic. Our name is also a reference to Realpolitik. Like the German political tradition, our analysis strives to be free of ideology and prejudice.
We are fiercely independent and do not an advocate for any individuals within the Russian political establishment. We do not pass judgement. Our sole aim is to explain.
R.Politik’s flagship product is its bi-monthly bulletin, which drills down on the workings of Russian government and provides a solid base for political forecasting. Our analysis focuses on the following issues:
- Elite infighting
- Geopolitics, foreign policy & ‘active measures’
- Energy policy & the energy sector
- Internal dynamics of the military & the security services
- Putin’s personal priorities
- Interplay of economic & social issues with domestic policy
- Significant criminal cases & their political ramifications
- Elections, approval ratings & key sociological data
- Economic & political developments in the Arctic
- Domestic policy ‘overseers’ in the Kremlin & the opposition
- Major political parties (Communist Party, Liberal Democrat Party & Just Russia)
- Hirings and firings at leading state-owned companies